Professional Development Requirements/CEU information
Public Act 12-116 an Act Concerning Education Reform
This bill eliminates the requirement that a professional certificate holder complete 90 CEU’s in order to renew his/her professional certificate. Instead the certificate is valid for 5 years and is required to be continued every 5 years.
Also instead of the CEU’s, starting, July 1, 2013, all certificate holders must participate in professional development activities. These activities must be part of a plan developed by the district PD committee. This committee was established in 2010 under PA 10-220a and still stands. This committee must include members of the bargaining unit who are chosen by the bargaining unit. This committee’s charge is to develop, evaluate and update annually the PD plan for the district. This new professional development must be offered by the district for 18 hours and the majority of which to be delivered in small groups or individual settings informed by evaluations. These activities shall include among others
- Improve integration of reading, literacy and numeracy enhancement, and cultural awareness
- Improve ELL teaching practices
- Foster collective responsibility for student performance
- Be used to improve practice based on teacher evaluations
Be comprehensive, sustained, and intensive enough increase teacher effectiveness
Reading Initiatives from Public Act 12-116
- By July 1, 2013, the State Department of Education will establish a professional development program in reading instruction
- BY July 1, 2013, the SDE will develop a coordinated statewide reading plan for students in Grades K-3.
- By January 1, 2013, the SDE will develop or approve a new reading assessment for Grades K-3.
- By July1, 2013, any certified employee with a remedial reading and remedial language arts endorsement and any certified employee with a comprehensive special education endorsement will achieve a satisfactory score on the reading instruction exam approved by the State Board of Education on 2009.
BY July 1, 2014, all certified teachers serving in Grades K-3 will take a practice version of the reading instruction examination approved by the State Board of Ed on April 1, 2009. Each local and regional board of education shall annually report the results to the SDE.