1) What background or prior life experience qualifies you for a position on the Board of Education? What inspired you to run for a position on the BOE at this particular time?
First and foremost, I am a parent of a teenager, and one pre-teen that are enrolled in the Bristol School system. Second, I was the PTO President at Hubbell School for 5 ½ years. From the first day my children started kindergarten I have been involved with the PTO. Inspiration to run, I feel I’ve thought if I could do great things for one school, maybe I can make a difference on a larger scale.
2) If elected, what would be your immediate priorities?
Keep important classes, Health, Tech Ed, sports for all and physical education for our students. Working on relationships among parents and the Board of Education.
3) What is the role of parents and teachers in educational decision making? How will you seek out the input of each and maintain communication? Role of parents and teachers is huge, as a parent you want the best for your child’s education, they are our future. As the teachers, they are working to help your child succeed. Communication is the answer. I’ve seen how parents don’t get involved, unless there is a real issue.
4) What are the dividing lines between parents, teachers, and administrators when it comes to accountability for student progress? As a parent, it’s our responsibility to check our child’s progress. Yes the teachers are with them every day, but they are our kids. Parents need to make more of an effort to keep in contact with teachers and administration.
5) What is your opinion of the NCLB (No Child Left Behind) act and its legacy?
I think it’s great, but needs improvement. Our teachers need help, you can’t expect them to teach 24 + students, and then have time to teach a child that needs help. Keeping paraprofessionals in the classroom should be a priority.
6) What else would you like our members to know about your candidacy? I’m a parent that stays involved with my children’s education. I’m very compassionate about making sure my kids and all the kids in the system get every chance to explore every opportunity they can. Education should be the most important part in our city’s budget. We shouldn’t be cutting costs when it has to do with children and education.
I decided to become involved because I believe every child has a right to learn. I want to show other parents how important it is to be involved with your child’s education. They are Our future.